Frequently Asked Questions
- How are your goats treated?
- How is goat milk different from cow milk in nutritive content?
- I’m allergic to cow milk. Can I drink goat milk?
- Does goat milk contain lactose?
- I have a sensitive stomach. Is goat milk food for digestive problems?
- Do you make low fat powdered for evaporated goat milk?
- Do you sell goat cheese, yogurt or ice cream?
- How can I tell what the expiration date on my Meyenberg Goat Milk is?
- Can goat milk be frozen?
- Is goat milk homogenized?
- What is ultra-pasteurization?
- Is goat milk for children?
- Is evaporated goat milk supposed to be caramel colored?
- Does Meyenberg Goat Milk packaging contain BPAs?
- Is Meyenberg Goat Milk GMO free?
1. How are your goats treated?
For more information about our goats, please see our All About Goat Milk section of the website.
2. How is goat milk different from cow milk in nutritive content?
Goat milk is uniquely different from cow milk in the concentration and form of its nutrients. It also has a different protein, curd, and fatty acid structure. It is high in calcium and low in sodium. Meyenberg Evaporated and Powdered Goat Milk products are supplemented with folic acid.
3. I’m allergic to cow milk. Can I drink goat milk?
Goat milk contains only trace amounts of the major protein of cow milk to which many people are allergic (alpha S1 Casein protein). If you are sensitive to this particular protein, goat milk may be well tolerated. If you have been clinically diagnosed with a cow milk allergy, be sure to consult your doctor before drinking goat milk.
4. Does goat milk contain lactose?
All mammalian milks, including human milk, contain lactose (milk sugar). However, many people with symptoms of lactose intolerance can drink goat milk. It has been suggested that this is due to goat milk’s superior digestibility, lighter curd structure, and lesser amounts of lactose than cow milk. If you have been clinically diagnosed with a cow milk allergy be sure to consult your doctor before drinking goat milk.
5. I have a sensitive stomach. Is goat milk food for digestive problems?
Goat milk is not a medicine, but a wholesome natural dairy milk with the added advantage of being more easily digested due to its different protein structure, softer curd, and more easily assimilated fat globules. Its excellent in soothing sensitive digestive systems.
6. Do you make low fat powdered or evaporated goat milk?
Yes, please visit our products page.
7. Do you sell goat cheese, yogurt or ice cream?
We do not produce goat milk ice cream or yogurts. Visit our products page to learn more about our Valley Goat Cheddar Cheese.
8. How can I tell what the expiration date on my Meyenberg Goat Milk is?
Visit our Shelf Coding page.
9. Can goat milk be frozen?
Meyenberg Goat Milk can be frozen. Carton milks can be frozen in the carton for up to 6 months. Reconstituted Evaporated or Powdered Goat Milk can also be frozen, allow enough head room for expansion during freezing. Thaw the milk in the refrigerator when ready to use. For good flavor, do not freeze over 6 months. Goat Butter can also be frozen for up to 6 months. We do not recommend freezing our award winning goat cheese.
11. What is ultra-pasteurization?
Ultra-pasteurization is the process of heating goat milk to 282˚ for three seconds. The milk is then flash cooled and packaged in steam sterilized cartons. This process destroys post-pasteurization bacteria that could harm the milk and allows for a longer unopened shelf life. Neither pasteurization, nor ultra-pasteurization appreciably effects nutritional content of milk. FDA laws prohibits the sale of any raw milk product for nationwide distribution.
12. Is goat milk for children?
Meyenberg goat milk products are whole, natural milk products suitable for any child ready for a whole milk. It is often recommended for those sensitive to cow and/or soy milk. For a reliable discussion on goat milk you may wish to visit the website of Dr. William Sears, a Board Certified Pediatrician and author of 26 books on childcare.
13. Is evaporated goat milk supposed to be caramel colored?
Our Evaporated Goat Milk can be slightly tan or pink colored depending on the time of the year. This is especially true of evaporated milk canned during the spring when proteins are higher in goat milk. There is occasionally a creamy substance at the bottom of the can. This is a simple separation of protein solids we recommend shaking the can thoroughly before opening. If separation is still present, stir the milk.
15. Is Meyenberg Goat Milk GMO free?
Meyenberg does not use genetically modified goat milk or any other genetically modified materials in the goat milk. We certify that all products produced by Meyenberg are to the best of our knowledge, free from genetically modified organisms.